Lloyd D. Felton, M.D.

Lloyd D. Felton

 Brief Bio

Lloyd Derr Felton (1885–1953) was the thirty-first president of the American Association of Immunologists, serving from 1947 to 1948. A prominent figure in public health from the 1920s through the 1940s, Felton enjoyed a succession of appointments at some of the nation’s leading academic research institutions before joining the Division of Infectious Diseases of the National Institute of Health (NIH) in 1938. He was best known for developing a serum for treating pneumonia while at Harvard Medical School in the 1920s.

Felton completed his M.D. at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1916 and remained there as an instructor in bacteriology and immunology until 1917, when he became director of the Clinical Laboratory at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Baltimore County. From 1920 to 1922, he was an associate in pathology and bacteriology at the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research. He joined the faculty of Harvard Medical School as an assistant professor of preventative medicine and hygiene in 1922 before returning to Johns Hopkins as an associate professor of pathology and bacteriology in 1935. Three years later, Felton was commissioned as a senior surgeon in the U.S. Public Health Service Medical Corps and assigned to the NIH. He became a medical director at the NIH in 1944 and retired from service in 1949.

 AAI Service History

Joined: 1926
President: 1947–1948
Vice President: 1948–1949
Councillor: 1946–1947

 President's Address

"The Significance of Antigen in Animal Tissues," Delivered March 16, 1948

The Journal of Immunology 61, no. 1 (1949): 107–17.

 Institutional/Biographical Links

  • The Journal of the American Medical Association obituary
  • Chemical and Engineering News obituary