AAI Public Service Award
The AAI Public Service Award (PSA) is bestowed annually on "individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the advocacy and support of basic biomedical and immunologic research" and who have "distinguished themselves in such diverse fields as public affairs and policymaking, journalism and scientific writing, scientific research, research administration, minority recruitment and education in the sciences, and disease research advocacy."
- Senator Barbara Mikulski (D-MD)
- for her “extraordinary leadership in, and commitment to, advancing biomedical research through strong support for the National Institutes of Health”
At left: Senator Barbara Mikulski with NIH Director Francis Collins
- Mr. Alan Alda
- for his "leadership in, and commitment to, advancing biomedical research by fostering better public understanding of, and appreciation for, science."
Above: Alan Alda
- Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL)
- for his "strong, steadfast leadership in advancing biomedical research through support for the National Institutes of Health."
- Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-CT)
- for her "deep commitment to advancing biomedical research and outstanding leadership in supporting the National Institutes of Health."
Above (left): AAI Committee on Public Affairs (CPA) Chair Elizabeth Kovacs presents the 2013 AAI PSA to Senator Richard Durbin in his office in the U.S. Capitol Building. Above (right): AAI Public Policy Fellows Program Capitol Hill Day participants prepare to meet with Sen. Durbin in the U.S. Capitol
(L-R): AAI Fellows Brian Sheridan, Lori Blanchfield, and Gretchen Diehl; CPA member Susanna Greer; AAI Fellows Tamisha Vaughan and Jeremy Schaefer.
Above: Senator Durbin discusses biomedical research with AAI representatives after being presented with the 2013 PSA.
Above (left): Rep. DeLauro enthusiastically communicates her support for NIH and biomedical research. Above (right): AAI President Marc Jenkins presents the AAI Public Service Award to
Rep. DeLauro at the 2013 AAI PSA presentation and reception.
Previous PSA Recipients
- The Honorable Chris Van Hollen (D-MD)
- The Honorable Brian Bilbray (R-CA)
- The Honorable David Obey (D-WI)
- The Honorable Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)
- Families USA (Ron Pollack, Executive Director)
- Dr. Richard Hodes, Director, National Institute on Aging
- Vicki and Fred Modell, Co-founders of the Jeffrey Modell Foundation (JMF)
- Frankie Trull, President, National Association for Biomedical Research (NABR) and Foundation for Biomedical Research (FBR)
- Mort Kondracke, journalist/commentator and Roll Call Executive Editor
- Senator Edward Kennedy (D-MA)
- Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
- Dr. Ruth Kirschstein, former Acting Director/Deputy Director, NIH
- Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA)
- Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA)
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Representative Dan Miller (R-FL)
- Senator Connie Mack, III (R-FL)
- Sam Donaldson, ABC News
- Bradie Metheny, former publisher, Washington FAX
- Senator Mark O. Hatfield (R-OR)
- Representative John Porter (R-IL)
© The American Association of Immunologists, Inc.
1451 Rockville Pike, Suite 650 | Rockville, Maryland 20852 | Phone: (301) 634-7178 | Fax: (301) 634-7887
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Website feedback: AAI Webmaster